Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tribute to a war hero

With Memorial Day two days away, I've been searching for relatives who may have served during wartime.  There are many, including my father and father-in-law who served during WW II, though not in combat. 

I do, however, have a 1st cousin, 2 x removed, who was killed in the Battle of Flavigny in France during WW II.  Ralph T. Brennan was the grandson of Ned and Mary Brennan, my great great grandparents, and the brother of Father Robert Brennan, whom I have mentioned in a previous post. 

Ralph was born in 1912 and enlisted in the Army in 1941.  He was a 1st Lieutenant when he was sent overseas in May of 1944.  He was wounded in a battle in France and sent to England to recuperate.  In  September of 1944 he returned to France and was killed four days later in a horrific battle in which 1600 men were killed, wounded or taken  prisoner.

There is a plaque on a bridge in France, the site of the battle, that honors his memory. 

Were it not for my interest in genealogy, I would probably never have learned this.  And in learning it, what was once something I read about in history books, is something much more real.  Members of my family, like members of so many families, grieved for a son and brother who gave his life in battle. 

Tomorrow I am visiting the cemetery to place flowers on the graves of my father, mother and brother.  But on Monday, I will think of all the men and women who gave their lives for our country, and it will be just a bit more personal to me as I think of my cousin Ralph.  

No comments:

Post a Comment