Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

After several months of finishing up my book The Waiting Room, then working on my husband's family history book, I've returned to play with all my family trees.  I've lost count of how many I have - maybe 10.

What sent me back was the desire to have all the data accurate in a couple of trees.  One is the Eterovic side of my husband's family.  This weekend, we are going to visit with an elder of the family, an 87 year old woman who can give us some information we've been unable to get anywhere else.  Her younger 78 year old sister should be there, too, so hopefully between the two of them, a few family mysteries will be solved. 

I've also recently been in touch with another in-law of the family who's been doing genealogy on the Yeseta side of the family.  We plan to meet with him and his family soon, so maybe I'll be able to fill in a few other gaps on the tree. 

What I've been doing for the past few days is taking all the data from the ancestry trees and making sure everything is correct on the Family Tree Maker trees.  The first are on the ancestry website, the second are on my computer and don't require me to be online. So if I ever stop using ancestry, I'll still have my trees (at least I think I will.) The Family Tree maker trees are also the only ones that will allow me to create genealogy reports (those crazy documents where everyone is assigned a number), so I began creating some today.  Actuallly, the software creates them and I just check to make sure there are no mistakes.  (There are always mistakes.) 

I started with my husband's grandfather's ancestors (Eterovic) and the report was 3 pages long and included 5 generations.  Then on to my husband's grandmother's ancestors (Yeseta).  Again, three pages and 4 generations.  Then, just for fun - since I am not yet ready to create a family history book for my family - I created a report for my maternal grandmother's German ancestors.  It was 12 pages and 10 generations. So I decided to go for broke and do a report on my paternal grandmother's ancestors.  Her family is English, Scottish and German, and goes back to before the time of the Mayflower.  The report was 59 pages long, so I didn't print it.  But one of these days I'll have to get back to it and check it for errors.  That could take a month. 

All of this is keeping me very busy, all while I'm supposed to be planning my trip to Ireland.  At least life isn't boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment