Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Day with the Cousins

In order to finish the Croatian family history project, my husband and I needed more information on some branches of the family we know little about.  Specifically, the branches associated with his grandmother, whose surname was "Yeseta." So we were invited to the monthly "Senior Luncheon"  at St. Anthony's Croatian Church in Los Angeles, a church that recently celebrated its 100 year anniversary. Here we would meet some of my husband's second cousins for the first time.


Before we went to the luncheon, though, we drove by two houses. This one is where my husband lived as a baby:



This one is where his grandparents lived - and where they made their wine in a backyard shed.



The luncheon was a lesson in Croatian culture and a wonderful introduction to family members we've never met.  I was able to fill in many blank spaces on the family tree, meet two other family members doing genalogical research, and enjoy a delicious meal of salmon, rice and asparagus (along with 2 glasses of wine) for only $10. The family had 2 full tables of cousins. 




After the luncheon, Tony and I were introduced to the other attendees, who were well acquainted with the Yeseta family, but not with us, of course.  I was introduced as a "gerontologist" rather than a "genealogist." The conversation was non-stop and exhausting, but exhilerating at the same time.  I came away with a wonderful sense of acceptance and warmth from this family, many phone numbers for follow-up conservations, and promises to meet again. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the look of that church! I want to take the kids there! :)

    ReplyDelete