Friday, June 7, 2013

RYAN FAMILY OF NEW JERSEY

Now that I have returned from Ohio with new information regarding my ancestors, I am anxous to fill in as many blank spaces in the family tree as possible.  I have gathered much information on my Brennan ancestors, beginning with Ned Brennan and Mary Fahey (my great, great grandparents) who immigrated to the United States, settling in Lima, Ohio, in 1861. 

Ned and Mary had six children:  Mary Ann; Michael; Bridget; Sarah; Edward; and John. All of the children except Mary Ann remained in Lima, so their records have been fairly easy to find.

The only family that remains something of a mystery to me is the family of Mary Ann Brennan, who married Thomas Ryan and moved to Jersey City, New Jersey.  They had, as best as I can figure, 9 children:  Edward; Patrick; Thomas; Mary (Mae); Raymond; Sarah; Anne, Joseph and Rita.  

Thomas died before 1920 and Mary Ann died in 1938 and is buried in Holy Name Cemetery.,

I have only been able to locate the married names of two of the daughters, largely via census records.  Mary or Mae (born in 1890) married Samuel Pierce and they had two sons.  Sarah (born in 1897) married a man named Thomas Nolley, or Molley, or Molloy.  This information was taken from a 1920 census record and the handwriting makes the actual name unclear. 

As the name Ryan is very common, and there are numerous Ryan families in Jersey City, it has been almost impossible to trace the children and grandchildren of Mary Ann Brennan Ryan.

If anyone comes upon this blog and is descended from this branch of the Brennan family, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Just leave a comment and I will receive an email notifying me.  I would love to hear about your branch of the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment