Sunday, October 14, 2012

DNA

I took advantage of a special offer by ancestry.com and am having my DNA analyzed.  Here's the kit that they sent me to collect a sample of saliva.



It's a simple procedure.  You just collect a small sample of saliva, seal the sample up in a special bag and enclose it in the pre-addressed and stampled padded envelope. 

I've already received notice that they received my sample and will send me my results via email in 4 to 6 weeks.

So what can I expect to learn?  First, I will learn the various ethnicities that make up my ancestral history.  While I already have a pretty good idea of who my ancestors were and the countries they came from, there may be some surprises - perhaps I'll find that rumored but unknown Native American ancestor. Or I might find that some ancestors came from Eastern Europe before they made their way to the British Isles or Germany.

I'll also be directed to potential ancestors on other ancestry.com family trees who share some of my DNA patterns. 

I don't really expect any surprises, but I'm anxious to see the results nonetheless. It's just one more clue to solving the family mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment