Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sturdy Stuff

Today I visited the Temecula library for the first time (It's beautiful and has a wonderful genealogy collection!) and did some research in the series of books titled: Mayflower Families Through Five Generations.  There are separate volumes for many of the passengers, including the three that are of interest to me and my husband:  Francis Cooke, Stephen Hopkins and John Howland.  

I was able to confirm the line from Francis Cooke and Stephen Hopkins for the first five generations, but the information I needed on John Howland was not available.  Now I have to go to the Los Angeles Public Library to find a book on the Landon family, and Mary Ann Landon, who  is the crucial link between the most recent five generations and the five I have already confirmed.  While I don't have any doubts as to Tony's connection to the Mayflower passengers, I am seeking iron-clad documentation and this book should provide it. 

Later, I came home and worked on the Schulien side of my family.  My mother's maternal grandparents were Schuliens.  Joseph Schulien, my great grandfather, was born in this country shortly after the family emigrated from Germany but I had not found an immigration date for his parents, and my usual sources online were not leading me anywhere.  So I began going in the "back door" as I often do. 

I looked up immigration dates for each of the children and came across one passenger list that could be viewed in its entirety.  On the list were the names of Joseph's mother, father and siblings on June 29, 1852.  Although they had come from Germany, the ship they traveled on had departed from Liverpool, England.  They must have traveled across the channel to England, and either stayed there for a while or left immediately for America.  The 4 children ranged in age from 10 years to 9 months. 

Today's genealogy quests reinforced something I am finding again and again. Our ancestors were made of sturdy stuff.  Whether they risked everything in 1620 to come to a land that was completely unknown and most likely very dangerous, or whether they left the dire economic conditions in mid nineteenth century Germany in the hopes of starting over in America, they set out with courage, determination and faith.

I couldn't help wondering how many of us would have the courage and the stamina to do what they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment