Thursday, June 16, 2011

Family History Library


At the genealogy conference, there were many presenters from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  For those of you who are not students of genealogy, the Family History Library is the largest genealogical library in the world.  It is affiliated with the Mormon Church, and boy do those people know what they are doing when it comes to genealogy!  Many genealogists, both amateur and professional, make yearly trips to the library in Utah. 

You don't have to go to Utah to access many of the records, however.  You can go to one of thousands of branches of the Family History Library, generally at the local Mormon church.  So yesterday, I went to the nearest church and was able to order three microfilms of Irish records for the county where my great great grandparents were born. These are church records rather than census records, which as I've noted before, are sparse.  So I'm hoping the priests kept better records than the English government.

It will be several weeks before I'll have my hands on the records, and I have no idea if they will produce any new information, but I'm hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment