Thursday, June 16, 2011

More Croatian ancestors

I just received the latest report from my researcher in Croatia and she has traced the family back to the 1700s. With the ancestors from the late 1800s she was able to access both church and census records, but by the time she reached the 1700s, all she had available were parish records, all written in Latin.  The Croatian names were hard enough to figure out, but now I have a collection of names in Latin. With my few years of Latin in Catholic school and my knowledge of a few Croatian names, I can figure out what most of them would be in Croatian and English.  For instance, "Franciscam" is Francisca or Frances.  "Dorotheam" is Dorothea or Dorothy.  "Helenam" is Helena or Helen. One was particularly puzzling, however.  The name was "Hyeronima" in Latin, and "Girolama"  in Croatian.  So I looked it up.  Hyeronima is the female version of "Hyeronimum" which means "sacred name" and is derived from the Greek.  (I guess the Roman church borrowed it.) Girolama is the Italian version, and there are many Croatian and Italian names that are the same.  The English translation for the masculine version is Jerome.

The earliest dates I now have for my husband's ancestors are in the early 1700s, though I have names that go back one more generation. My researcher told me the parish books from before that are in very bad condition, most of the information unreadable.  And the priests who recorded the information did not write down dates.

So while I do not yet have a complete record, as even though records exist they may be indiscernable, I have much more information than when I started - names and dates for four additional generations. 

Now I'm going to see what I can find for the Jescheta (Yeseta) family's ancestors in Bohemia (Czech Republic).  I have the name and email address of a researcher in that area, so maybe I'll get lucky.

Stay tuned, Terich family.

No comments:

Post a Comment